Monday, August 18, 2008

A Look at the Volunteer 'Lunch'

I blogged earlier about the "lunch" that we get as volunteers. It's a bit difficult to enjoy.

What you see above is the tray of food after I ate. This photo actually makes it a look at little more colorful. This plastic container is given to us at a ridiculous high temperature along with a piece of fruit (which I will talk about), three bottles of water and a Coke.

With this particular lunch, I ate the middle out of my rice and about half of the upper left-hand corner. I think it was beef. The middle dish is a seaweed and corn dish that has been obliterated.  On the far right is, I think, beef that has bones in it and pieces of fat. The bottom left is, I think, chicken with some green vegetable. For this lunch, I took the assumed-beef and put it on my rice that I cover with some spice sauce that is offered. On most days, it's about 10 spoonfuls of substance. It is just enough to make yourself think you're full. But don't forget about that piece of fruit. The bananas we have gotten have been good but when it is a staple just about every day they get old quickly. Some times we get what I call "greens." It supposed to be an orange but it is green. It's really difficult to eat but it does the trick some times.

I don't want anyone to think that I am starving because all of you know, I don't starve. Ultimately, lunch has given me another great appreciation for other meals.

4 comments:

Adam said...

No one would describe me as a picky eater. I'll eat about anything. The lunch you picture and describe, however, would give me pause before chowing down.

Is there anything outside of the velodrome within walking distance where you have time to grab something else?

Adam said...

Time to change the picture on this entry. what about a pic. of a 'green'?

jon said...

I just threw up

Leroy Bridges said...

I looked for a photo of a "green" and I don't have one. It was banana day when I took the other photos. I have to eat the lunch tomorrow and hopefully it will be "green" day so I can get a photo.