Thursday, August 7, 2008

10 Things I Miss from Home ...


... Correction, six.

I have been in Beijing for more than four weeks and there are definitely specific aspects of life that I am craving. I tried to think of 10 but I couldn't. I think part of the reason why I couldn't is because I enjoy being in China.

6. Cell Phone
When we arrived in Beijing, the Olympic committee gave us a Chinese simcard for our phones but my Sprint phone doesn't operate on a simcard. The simcard allows for communication in China. I have the option of using my normal plan on my phone but that is ridiculously expensive and not worth it. I don't think I need one right now but there is something about having a cell phone and being connected to everyone you know. Having the ability to send text messages at all hours of the night is also fun.

5. Deli-style sandwiches
Don't laugh. This is for real. There are many factors why this makes the list. Bread is not something that is common in Beijing. The closest thing you can find without going out of your way is a roll that tastes like nothing and has the feel of a packing peanut. Secondly, most people don't own refrigerators. So, having lunch meat, cheese, mayo, mustard and lettuce on hand is rare. I hope you're happy because now my mouth is watering.

4. Taco Bell
I miss something that I was knee-deep in for four years of my life while in high school. Imagine that. For me, T-Bell is easily my favorite fast-food restaurant and it encompasses a style of cuisine, albeit fake Mexican, that isn't common in Beijing. Pizza Huts and KFCs are every where. Taco Bell? Nope. There are only three in all of China. Yes, I googled it one night to see if I could satiate the group's craving for Cheesy Gordita Crunches. Unfortunately, the nearest one to Beijing is about an hour plane ride away.

3. Drier/Iron
On most days we are lucky that the washer finishes all cycles. I am not kidding. Usually, I spend about five minutes after each load (a load equals no more than eight articles clothing) ringing out the water. When I'm lucky, the machine doesn't even attempt the spin cycle and I find my clothes bathing in a washer full of water. Either way, they have to drip dry. Combine the drip drying with rock solid water and you get laundry that's been starched for free. This has to be the most unexpected item to make the list. Never in my life did I think I would miss a drier and an iron.

2.The Piano Bar at the Neon Cactus
I promise I'm not an alcoholic. This place is just that fun. Thursday nights just aren't the same without being able to enjoy my favorite 32-ounce cup of rum-and-Coke in one of the most fun atmospheres I have ever encountered. Bruce Barker and the Doctor provide laughs that last for days and I have missed those. Fortunately, my birthday is the day after I get back in the States and it happens to be on a Thursday.

1. The Chicago Cubs
I could be missing the summer of history. I know, I know, there's always next year but this could be the year. And with the 12-hour difference catching games on the Internet isn't easy. Instead, I end up glancing at the score and checking the standings. All I want is a little Bob Brenly and Len Kasper in my life right now. I think this may be good training for if-and-when I move out of the Midwest and lose Comcast, which shows loads of games. For now, keep the Cubbies rolling, Joey, Scotty and Timmy. And hopefully when I get back we can sing a little "Go Cubs Go!"

9 comments:

Adam said...

I would normally spend a bit more time commenting, but my lunch from "Penn Station Subs" is here and I am going to go eat my Italian Sub sandwich.

KTV said...

1. Have you completed your mission and stalked Michael Phelps for me?
2. What day is it that you return?
3. Do you need a ride back from the airport?
4. I miss you! Enjoy the rest of your time!

Leroy Bridges said...

Kaitlin, what is your e-mail? I have looked but can't find it.

Adam said...

Hey , it just hit me......none of your family members made the cut to the Top Ten list

Leroy Bridges said...

Family and friends are aspects of life that you miss where ever you are, Adam. Of course, I love and miss my family but that is no different than in China or West Lafayette.

Adam said...

I know...just giving ya a hard time :)

jon said...

I miss the Cactus too. I'm already thinking about how awesome it'll be when I can make a Thursday return trip to WeLa ... I think I'm going to chug a beer right now out of respect ........breath.........burp.....breath......(God, I suck at chugging)......done.

Adam said...

it's 8:50 am here, the opening ceremonies(OC) are under way I assume. Are you all tucked away in some Chinese tavern watching the OC, or do the volunteers get to do something during the OC?

When do the cycling events begin? Will we ever spot you or any other volunteers on TV? You seem to have a knack for appearing on TV during televised sporting events.

Charise said...

Aww, the wanting to satiate your group's craving for cheesy gorditas reminds me of that time a giant group of us went to t-bell after a party and you were so drunk and happy to get to go that you picked up the tab for EVERYONE!