Friday, August 22, 2008

Life Outside of Cycling


When it comes to covering other events at the Olympics for the Olympic News Service, it's just not a possibility for us because we were assigned cycling. There are other international volunteers working at other sports, such as basketball, gymnastics and athletics. Some of the other schools that I know of that are here volunteering are Emerson, Missouri and North Carolina. I am not sure how the Beijing Organizing Committee decided on where to put each university, either. Also, because of the high security, our credentials allow us access to our venues only.

That's why when I was recently given the opportunity to follow David Neville's competitions at the Olympics I was stoked. Neville is a member of the U.S. Track and Field team. He graduated from Merrillville, Ind., and the Northwest Indiana Times, a paper I have done correspondence work with in the past, wanted coverage of his events. He runs the 400-meter dash and is part of the 1,600-meter relay team. So, before and after his events I have been interviewing him and his parents about the event and his results. On Thursday, he dove head-first to barely win Bronze in the 400-meter dash and tonight he helped his relay team advance to the finals.

I have been elated to have the opportunity to cover an Olympic athlete even if it is from my dorm room at the Communication University of China.

1 comment:

Adam said...

So are you saying that your chances of getting an interview with Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt aren't too great?

What about any member of the Jamaican team?

I bet Lyudmila Blonska would accept an interview.

And I bet there is more news to the horse doping issues (http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/feedarticle/7744418)

If I promise to send some Webkinz as gifts or a Hannah Montana CD, would you be able to get an interview with some of the Chinese gymnasts?
.......wait...nevermind about that...my kids' Webkinz are made in China.

Just no more pics of the 'lunch' that image is disturbing to een think about.