Friday, August 8, 2008

Breathtaking Opening Ceremony



If I were part of the opening ceremony crew in London, which hosts the 2012 Games, I would be hating life today. After seeing what Beijing did last night for it's opening ceremony it's hard to think it can be topped.

I was fortunate enough to see a rehearsal of the event last week but there were numerous parts of the event that were not included in the rehearsal I went to.

– The beginning of the ceremony was insane. Giant footprint fireworks? Are you kidding me? Who does that? Apparently, the Chinese. That was awesome. On my way to "Steak and Eggs," an American diner here in Beijing, to watch the ceremony the streets were empty. Now I know why. The opening ceremony featured fireworks from across the city, including 29 giant footprints. I knew fireworks were going to be part of the show but a show across a city is unbelievable.

– Everyone was aching to know about the final torch lighting. Despite the act taking a massive amount of time, it was incredible. The giant torch that is attached to the Bird's Nest was not there a week ago. In fact, it wasn't there days ago. And to have someone dangling from the sky run across the top of a stadium is incredible, too.

I have never been a person to watch all of the opening ceremony for every Olympics but when I was watching this one I felt special. I don't know if it was because I saw a rehearsal or that I was in the same city as it or that I am a volunteer working for these games. Watching the ceremony finally unfold in front of me as a volunteer who saw a rehearsal in Beijing will be with me forever.

I hope everyone who watched the opening ceremony got a little taste of how crazy this country and city have become about the Olympics. It is clear that the Chinese are going to do everything possible to make these Games special and they deserve a lot of credit. Buckle up for what is going to be some great competition and memorable moments.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I thought the OCs were impressive. By watching the OCs here in the States, I did seem to get the feel of the energy the Chinese put into this event. The Parade of Nations took forever (the kids managed to stay awake up through & around Trinidad & Tobago and then they were out.) but the torch lighting was cool.

I'm looking forward to the competitions. USA basketball better reclaim the gold. Everyone seems to be predicting China to lead the medal count...maybe the USA can surprise everyone. Looking forward to one of those athletes from a country that hasn't won a medal before. And I'm wondering what they're going to do for the closing ceremonies